Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Open Water Diving at Aur and Dayang...

Yes, its one of the most significant and exciting post I have had here in a long time! One of the coolest birthday presents I got was from my dear friend Royston Wu. I have know Royston for quite a while now since my days in KL when he came up with the Ferrari club and with Boon....and instead of giving me a gift, he decided to give me a diving course as my present instead! Royston is a avid diver who has cleared the technical diver stage and diving is something I have always wanted to do but never got the time or courage. After the classroom course and the pool lesson, off we went on our 7 hour trip to one of the best dive spots around, Pulau Aur and Pulau Dayang which is 3 and a half hours off the coast of Mersing.
Well, it was a mixed group of leisure divers and us on the open water course that headed out there on this trip. Was glad that I had Nelson around to give me some confidence and support since Jay and Lora didn't turn up to complete the course this time. However, was also lucky that old friend Benny from Zouk, Fabian (who I used to buy CD's from ages ago) and his brother were around. The islands are totally fantastic with fantastically clear water and a whole host of sealife alll around! Jon and his brother Matthew took very good care of us as instructors and made sure we were well competent in our skills before going to the next stage. I remember on the first time I went down I had a little panic attack but after I went down once....it was smooth sailing! Its hard to imagine but each dive took me half an hour. 3 dives on day one......alot of beer that night (we played a interesting version of poker with beer!) and then 2 dives the next day....and lo and behold...I can now call myself a certified open water diver!!!

No comments: